The latest instalment of our Strong Bites franchise brings eggs with a completely vegan twist.
We know what you’re thinking: how can a dish made almost solely of eggs be made vegan? Well, thanks to the powerhouses that are chickpeas, our go-to lunch dish just got a plant-based twist. And it comes laden with even more body-loving nutrients than the original.
Eggs and chickpeas contain similar amounts of protein, but chickpeas have the extra benefit of fibre, making this frittata as good for your gut as it is for your muscles. This fibre, called resistance starch, feeds the healthy bacteria in your digestive tract which support the winter struggles of immunity and mood. Fold the mixture over leafy greens – packed with earthy flavours and vitamin C to help absorb the iron in chickpeas. Whip it up on your working from home days and take the leftovers to the office for a lunch that defies plant-based expectations.
You may also like
Boost your mood and energy levels with this delicious, healthy brownie recipe
Vegan chickpea frittata recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
50ml olive oil
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 small tomatoes, chopped
1 courgette, sliced
150g chickpea (gram) flour
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Warm the olive oil in a medium frying pan saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for about five minutes.
- Add the courgette and tomatoes and cook for another five minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix together the chickpea flour, turmeric and 350ml water in a large bowl to make a batter. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add the batter to the veggies, after re-heating the pan. Cook for about 10 minutes on a medium heat until it goes golden on the sides and becomes firm like an omelette.
- Slice into quarters and serve with a salad.
Recipe and image courtesy of Gem’s Wholesome Kitchen.
Source: Read Full Article