If your calendar is packed with morning workouts, working lunches and evenings sipping mulled wine outside with friends, you could probably do with having some hearty, pre-prepped food on hand. But before reaching for a tin of Heinz, try this veg-loaded homemade baked beans recipe instead.
It’s packed with roasted butternut squash, which is full of beta-carotene – a form of vitamin A responsible for producing white blood cells for a healthy immune system. The chickpeas are also packed with iron for an energy boost to keep you going throughout the holidays. And we almost forgot the best bit: the garlic and paprika seasoning that tastes even better when eating leftovers the next day. Hey, just because 2020 slowed down doesn’t mean you have to.
1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1cm cubes
2 medium onions, peeled and diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
200g mushrooms, roughly diced
1 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 teaspoons smoked
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
Sea salt and freshly
Ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan.
- Put the squash, onions, garlic and mushrooms into a large roasting tray, along with the chickpeas.
- Drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle the smoked paprika on top.
- Use a large spoon to mix everything well, ensuring that the vegetables and chickpeas are evenly covered with the paprika oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through, until everything starts to soften and caramelise at the edges.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stir through. Then return the tray to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Simply Good For You by Amelia Freer (Penguin)
IMAGE: Susan Bell
Want more simple and nutritious recipes? Follow @StrongWomenUK on Instagram for the latest workouts, delicious recipes and motivation from your favourite fitness experts.
Source: Read Full Article